Welcome to the first installment of the Malawi Mai Quiz on my Blog! A new and exhilarating way to learn about some of the interesting, moving, endearing, funny, important and/or downright stupid things I come across in my every-day life in Malawi.
What’s with the name? Well, ‘mai’ is the Chichewa word for ‘madam’ and also for ‘mother’. It is the polite way to address a woman. Malawians are very much into this formal style of address. Like the French they may call their best friends ‘madam Suchandsuch’ or ‘mister Whatsit’ even after they have known each other for a hundred years or more. In short, this quiz is about women in Malawi. It’s a multiple choice quiz. Which means that you can choose multiple answers.
Are there prizes to be won? Of course there are! A quiz would not be a proper quiz if there wasn’t a thousand Kwadcha at stake. That’s right! One zero zero zero crispy Kwadchas for the winner of each exciting episode, to be collected in person at my house in Area 49B (It’s the one with the white wall and light green gate, just knock, and if I don’t come out at once don’t worry, just knock again because I may not have heard the first time, I’m sorry it’s probably nothing personal) in Lilongwe. (Did I mention that Malawi residents are excluded from participation?)
A warning before we start. A quiz is not for everyone. If you are one of those ‘I-have-just-come-home-from-work-where-I-have-been-thinking-deep-and-complicated-thoughts-all-day-for-frankly-not-enough-money-if-you-ask-me-but-nobody-seems-to-give-a-shit-especially-not-my-boss-what-else-is-new-and-now-I-just-want-to-read-something-light-and-fluffy-for-God-sake-something-that-will-put-a-smile-on-my-face-and-help-me-relax-you-know-instead-of-having-to-do-more-bloody-thinking-I-don’t-care-for-how-many-freakin-Kwadchas-so-quiz-mai-foot-ha-ha-pun-intended’ kind of Blog reader, this may not be for you. In which case, not to worry my friend, just scroll on! (or surf to www.hormonetherapy.com). For the rest of you: here we go!
Malawi Mai Quiz: episode 1!
Where does a Malawi Mai keep her mobile phone?
Is this in:
A: her handbag or purse?
B: her hair?
C: the same place she keeps her money?
D: her bra?
E: Don’t be such an arse Caroline; this is obviously a trick question because Malawian women are too poor to even have a mobile phone!
Looking forward to your answers. Good luck!
1 comment:
geef het op: piet
Post a Comment